The year is 1910; the United States is at a peak in its history. Flight has recently developed, and so has film. The assembly line is soon to come. Cleveland’s population is a booming 560,000. The sixth largest city in the nation, it is a time for development and prosperity.
Located at 40th and Superior was small building where the horses and carts were housed, the original company location. With steady business over the next three years, Andrews purchased the Hanna Moving Company on Lexington Avenue. This site became the future home of The Andrews Fireproof Storage Company, a 30,000 square foot, four story, state of the art facility. The stables housed over sixty horses and did so until the purchase of the first motorized truck in 1915. The horses, outmoded by trucks, were replaced by a fully motorized fleet in 1922.
The moving company was recast as Andrews Furniture Storage Company in 1923. At this point in time Andrews had numerous components under its belt including: Andrews Cartage, Distributors Express, Andrews Investment Co., Premier Transportation, Buckeye Delivery, and Andrews Transfer Co. The majority of Andrews’ business revolved around household moves as well as local and regional transport for railroad companies.
Several years of successful business under Ross Woodruff, Neil Frerick, and Gene Douglas, led Andrews to become charter member of United Van Lines. In 1953, the all components of the Andrews group were sold to Leaseway Corporation, excluding Andrews Moving, which was later renamed Andrews Moving and Storage.
The year is now 1956. The average house cost approximately $22,000, a car, $2,000, gas, $.23 per gallon, and two men and a van from Andrews Moving and Storage, $12.75 an hour.
Mr. Andrews, along with Gene Douglas and Ross Woodruff slowly faze themselves out, replaced by Jack Marshall, John Willoughby, and Mr. Andrews’ son, Jack Andrews. With this change of hands, and the arrival of the 1960s, more diversification was headed Andrews’ way. The computer and copier equipment industry was an important client for Andrews, requiring moves of equipment weighing over 2,000 pounds. Andrews purchased hydraulic end gate trucks for these larger pieces of equipment, moving nearly 3,500 computer parts per month on a regular basis. Andrews became known to all major downtown Cleveland corporations, working with many big names. In the 1960s, Andrews saw continuous growth with the purchase of a 15,000 square foot warehouse to service the Chagrin Valley, an additional 10,000 square foot facility for the east side, and the purchase of The Avalone Moving and Warehousing Company in Mentor.
1970 brought further change with the move of Andrews’ main facility from the original location on Lexington Avenue to 30,000 square foot office in Brooklyn Heights. Andrews grew to be one of the top twenty agents in booking volume, and United grew to become the third largest van line.
The next several decades brought additional growth to Andrews with expansion to Columbus, an addition of services, including records management, and tens of thousands of square feet added to its storage space.
The 1990s brought Andrews recognition for the amazing services provided over the past eighty years. In 1993 it was awarded as the Top Quality Service Provider of all United Van Lines. In 1994, Andrews’ operator, Bob Stankiewicz was awarded Van Operator of the Year for United. And in 1997, Mike Hollingshead was awarded Super Van Operator of the Year for the entire industry.
The records management division saw fantastic growth, managing over 15,000 transactions on a daily basis with clients across the globe.
Eleven years into the new millennium, we continue our tradition of servicing local families and companies, and providing charitable work. We want to help you with your move! Visit us online and find out more about what we can do for you.